Saturday, August 4, 2018

Peer Interview: Sasha Vilanov


1. What is your mundane name?
Jon Thomas Conant but I go by Tommy

2. What is your full persona name?
Posadnik Soshka Gregor’evich Vilanov aka Sasha

3. What is your peerage and, if appropriate, your discipline?
Pelican – mostly administrative and heraldry

4. How long have you been in the SCA?
25+ years.

5. Can you give us a little of your persona’s story?
Born in 1220 in the Grand Duchy of Vladimir. At age 18, I was a Russian soldier and was gifted to the Mongolians when they came to his village to prevent them from raiding and destroying the village. Later in life I became a bureaucrat in the city of Vladimir after it was rebuilt.

6. What offices have you held?  What were the greatest challenges of these duties?
I have been Baronial Seneschal, Baronial Archery Ranger, Baronial Webminister, Kingdom Webminister, Sextant Herald (maintain the Order of Precedence), Triskele Herald (Principle herald of the Kingdom), Sundial Herald (Royal Court Herald) and I am about to become the Secretary for the Order of the Pelican. Keeping everything running smoothly. Remembering to delegate when appropriate.

7. What is your favorite SCA memory (not including receiving your Peerage)?
There are many, but I would probably say watching my wife become Princess and then Queen.

8. Are you a member of a household or guild?  If so, what is it, and how do you participate? 
I am currently the leader of both Clan Far-Flung and Red Phoenix Horde. Honorary member of Clan Cait Dubh.

9. What is something about you that you don’t think many in the SCA know (that you don’t mind them knowing now)?
That I like to fight. I typically have only fought at wars over the years and semi-sporadically, so not everyone has seen me in armor and I always get comments of “I didn’t know that you fought” whenever I show up in armor.

10. What advice do you have for less-experienced members of the SCA?
Don’t continue to do something that you don’t like doing. There are a zillion things to do in the SCA and if something stops being fun, stop doing it. If you take on an office or a position, finish out your tenure to the best of your ability, but don’t be afraid to step down if life gets in the way of that. Don’t just half ass it and peter out without letting anyone know. People will have more respect for you and can accept admitting you can’t finish something more than just disappearing and not telling anyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment